[Pulp-dev] [pulp-dev] story backlog reduction

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 16:22:55 UTC 2016

Moving to pulp-dev list with permission from asmacdo...

+1 to keeping the story backlog tidy

We can do some of this now and later, or defer doing it until after 3.0.
Either way is ok with me. Some responses inline also.

-Brian

On 09/01/2016 01:31 PM, Austin Macdonald wrote:
> I have been looking over some old stories in our backlog, and believe we
> are in desperate need of some clean up. Currently we have 309 stories in
> NEW state. Among the oldest few pages, *more than half* should probably
> be closed. For the stories that are relevant, now is the optimal time to
> revisit them as we plan for Pulp 3.
>
> Since the meaning of many of these stories is not immediately clear, I
> suspect that they are not closed because each individual does not want
> to close something they don't understand. We should utilize the
> machinery we already have with pulpbot to knock this out, we will be
> much more confident to close them as a group.
>
> Here are a few examples to demonstrate:
>
>   * Is this scope creep?
>       o https://pulp.plan.io/issues/26
We can close 26. It doesn't convey a comprehensible idea.
>   * Has this been solved by redesign?
>       o https://pulp.plan.io/issues/25
We should keep 25 open I think. It's still useful with our current design.
>   * Can we close Nodes/Nectar RFE's?
>       o https://pulp.plan.io/issues/274
I think closing all nodes RFEs and bugs as wontfix would be a safe and
productive thing to do. I recommend a list be made and sent to pulp-dev
of all the issues before a mass-close would occur. For nectar, I
recommend doing nothing at this time since we don't have commitment yet
that it will be removed in 3.0.
>   * We should consider what our users asked for as we plan Pulp 3.
>       o  https://pulp.plan.io/issues/227
I related this to #2090 which is the user/auth planning task for 3.0