[Pulp-dev] Transition from Mongo to Postgre

Filip Nguyen fnguyen at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 11:16:02 UTC 2016

All that makes sense. Do you have any concerns/benchmarks regarding
performance after migration? Have you tried migrating your data in some
POC and measure the difference in some subset of functionality?

Just to give more context. The reason I am asking is that in Candlepin,
we always have had Postgres as a datastore. Some performance challenges
that we have been facing:

  * The sheer amount of data on one node makes and the amount of time
    necessary to migrate when changing schema
  * Transaction lock waits - which, at occasion, can stop client
    requests and bring down the service
  * Transaction deadlocks

With every new functionality I sometimes think about a possibility to
use some NoSQL to make it horizontally scalable. So it would be
interesting to hear that Mongo didn't deliver the performance in Pulp's
case.