[Pulp-dev] 3.0 Validation update

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Wed Apr 12 14:11:43 UTC 2017

On 04/11/2017 04:08 PM, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> I like thinking about this as business logic. Data may be valid, but it may not be usable in a particular context.
>
> To help figure out where such logic should live, it may help to think about where the check is most important.
> I've described that time as "at the time of use" earlier in this discussion (maybe just on IRC). With sync as
> an example, a workflow will load an importer's config from the database, check it for problems, and then
> immediately use the values it just inspected. This is the critical moment where it must gracefully handle
> unusable data. This check ensures correct behavior and avoids an unhandled exception or crash.

+1

> We can and should also check for problems at earlier opportunities, such as at the time a user tries to queue
> a sync. This improves the user experience, but it is not required for correct and safe operation.

The data can change between the time when the task is queued and when it is executed.  This adds complexity
and the value added is not deterministic.  -1 for a check here.

> Given that, I think it makes sense to put the check close to the data. A method on the model seems reasonable.
> In terms of polluting the model with business logic, it isn't that different from defining a custom query set
> on the model, which django encourages.

Agreed, but only for data integrity. Each field should be validated.  And, the record (cross field) should be
validated.  We don't want to store things in the DB that are invalid.  Seems like the django ORM already
provides for this, right?  But, the model should not have methods to validate itself for a particular
operation (usage).  For example, ensure_syncable() that validates the feed URL would not be appropriate.  This
should be checked at run-time by the object doing the sync.  Perhaps a double dispatch model in
plugin.Importer could do:

def synchronize():
    # do validation and preparation.
    return self._synchronize()

def _synchronize():
    # overridden by plugins.
    raise NotImplementedError()

> As a slight tangent, some applications take this sort of checking even further. An admirable approach in REST
> API design, which may not be a good idea for us at this time but is interesting to note, is to make a behavior
> such as "sync" only available via a link accessed via a known name in an object's representation. That's a
> mouthful, so here's an example:
>
> {
>   "id": "foo",
>   "feed": "http://cdn.redhat.com/stuff/",
>   "_links":
>   {
>     "self": "http://here.com/importers/foo",
>     "sync": "http://here.com/importers/foo/sync"
>   }
> }
>
> Consider that the link for starting a sync is not part of the published API, except that it must be obtained
> from this representation. There are two advantages here.
>
> The main advantage I'm pointing out is that when the server creates this representation of an Importer, it
> would only include the "sync" link if the current state of the object would allow for a sync. If there were no
> feed, there would be no sync link, and thus the client would be unable to even try starting one. So this is a
> third opportunity to check whether the object's state is suitable for a sync. It even allows the client to
> show or hide a "sync" button without having to re-implement the business logic that's already present on the
> server side. Neat, huh?

Interesting.

However, the duration of how long the 'sync' link is valid is not deterministic.  1 ms after the link is
included in the returned document, a DB commit could set it to NULL.  The link could be invalid by the time
the user even receives the REST reply.