[Pulp-dev] 3.0 Validation update

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 17:55:42 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Brian Bouterse <bbouters at redhat.com> wrote:

> @asmacdo, your points cause me to also think that all importer/publisher
> update and delete operations should be tasks that use the tasking
> reservations system. That will cause them to never run while a sync or
> publish for instance is running. I'm interested in hearing more thoughts on
> this from others.

Doing updates and deletes in tasks keeps the Pulp 2 behavior, which is safe
and reasonably well-understood. That's a fine way to go.

I think the delete is especially advantageous to do in a task, so the
object never disappears while an import or publish related task is running.

Update is easier to do synchronously. If it's a task, we have to worry
about saving a diff for the object (presumably as an argument to the task),
then applying that diff in the running task and validating it the way the
REST API would. That's doable, but we'd have to do it. :) It's very
tempting to do it synchronously and let the REST API do what it does for
free.

That said, just because it's the easy option doesn't mean it's the right
one. Doing the update synchronously, as has been pointed out, allows for
the possibility that the importer config will change between when the task
is queued and when it runs. I think that's fine and reasonable, but it
could be seen as a downside.

Consider that while doing an update in a task could be more predictable in
one way, it could also create its own confusion. Consider an API user who
sees a representation of an importer in the DB and submits changes to it,
but doesn't realize there are already other changes queued as tasks.

Neither approach seems perfect, but I lean toward synchronous updates to
avoid the diff+validation challenge and the (potentially very long) delay
in changes being visible.

> A related question... are importers or publishers ever shared with
> multiple repos in Pulp3?

Nope.

--

Michael Hrivnak