[Pulp-dev] 3.0 Validation update

Austin Macdonald austin at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 20:03:00 UTC 2017

> 3. We want update/delete to be immediate and we'd want any task in
> progress to discontinue as soon as
> possible.  Basically, error out.

4. Image these tasks queued up [SYNC][SYNC][SYNC][DEL] ... we'd waste a ton
> of cycles syncing a repo that the
> user wants to delete.  And, the delete get's delayed by hours.  Not what
> the user intended.

I assumed the opposite. If I issue 3 syncs and then a delete, I wouldn't
expect the syncs to be canceled. If we do decide to go with synchronous
update/delete, we have to account for the possibility that the content
adapter has been modified or removed through the whole sync and publish
process. I think that would force us to disallow (or just a strongly worded
note) warning them not to reload or save content adapter instances, or else
they will be susceptible to race conditions. Because the plugin writer is
now responsible for handling race conditions and failing gracefully, I I am
thinking that it will not be simpler.

2. Getting a 201 on a resource delete/update seems odd from the REST point
> of view.

Yeah :(

I am -0 on synchronous calls at the moment but I could be convinced
otherwise. I think of this primarily as balancing predictability vs
performance.