[Pulp-dev] Publish API for Plugin Writers (Pulp3)

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 20:22:20 UTC 2017

For plugin writers who are writing a publisher for Pulp3, what do they need
to handle during publishing versus platform? To make a comparison against
sync, the "Download API" and "Changesets" [0] allows the plugin writer to
tell platform about a remote piece of content. Then platform handles
creating the unit, fetching it, and saving it. Will there be a similar API
to support publishing to ease the burden of a plugin writer? Also will this
allow platform to have a structured knowledge of a publication with Pulp3?

I wanted to try to characterize the problem statement as two separate
questions:

1) How will units be recorded to allow platform to know which units
comprise a specific publish?
2) What are plugin writer's needs at publish time, and what repetitive
tasks could be moved to platform?

As a quick recalling of how Pulp2 works. Each publisher would write files
into the working directory and then they would get moved into their
permanent home. Also there is the incrementalPublisher base machinery which
allowed for an additive publication which would use the previous publish
and was "faster". Finally in Pulp2, the only record of a publication are
the symlinks on the filesystem.

I have some of my own ideas on these things, but I'll start the
conversation.

[0]: https://github.com/pulp/pulp/pull/2876

-Brian