[Pulp-dev] 3.0 Validation update

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 13:55:21 UTC 2017

On 04/25/2017 02:47 PM, Brian Bouterse wrote:
> There are a few use cases and behaviors that I think only an asynchronous update/delete for importers,
> publishers, and repositories will satisfy. Thanks to @asmacdo for covering some of these also.
>
> * As a plugin writer, I am in control when my code is running. The data layer is not expected to change other
> than what my code is doing or what I've asked platform to do for me. This same reasoning applies to unit
> associations too (as a similar example of this principle). With unit associations for example, I don't think
> we want new units showing up as part of a repo halfway through the publish operation.
>
> * As a plugin writer, I can modify and save the importer without being concerned that I am overwriting data
> the user just updated. This is a write-write race concern. We could say in documentation "don't do that", but
> they may have good reasons to and I don't see a good reason why they can't call save() during a sync() for
> example. Consider that they are defining fields on these subclassed importers and they want to write data into
> them at sync-time.

This applies to previous use case as well.

Even with update/delete being asynchronous, I don't think there is any guarantee as to what the data will be
when the task actually runs in a multi-user application.  There is a race condition on the task queue.  Other
users' updates and syncs can be queue in any order around what this user is trying to do.  If this is a
requirement, we may need to include a snapshot of the data in the task.

> * A user should be able to submit a [sync], [modify the importer], [sync] and only have the update apply to
> the second sync. Synchronous updates make it difficult for a user to determine the impact an update has when
> applied while sync code is running for example.
>
> * If users want the ability to apply an importer update apply immediately then can cancel any running syncs
> and their update will apply immediately then, so we're not limiting them in any way.
>
> * Deleting data while code is expected to use that data is running will likely create negative user
> experiences. This is a rephrasing of the "don't change the data later while plugin code is running" point from
> earlier but with a twist. If the publisher is deleted while the plugin writer's publish() is running, if
> plugin code tries to read or save, the task will fail at some random point with a traceback, which is not a
> good experience. Contrast that against what you would get with an asynchronous design which would allow a
> clean PulpException to be emitted by the publish() task just before calling the publish() code. Having the
> PulpException which checks in exactly one place will be a better user experience with a nice message instead
> of a deep traceback and easier to maintain (in one place).

Seems this can be handled cleanly/gracefully for synchronous delete as well.  The plugin should protect
updates with try/catch and raise a PulpException when the DB exception is raised.  The sync would terminate
immediately and the task would report that the importer had been deleted which seems reasonable.