[Pulp-dev] Crane redirects - internal and external content

Simon Baatz gmbnomis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 13:26:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:41:08PM -0500, Dennis Kliban wrote:
>    Crane cannot perform a rewrite of the redirect URL at this time. This
>    seems like a reasonable feature request. I recommend filing a story -
>    we can discuss the feature details on there.

That would be a nice feature indeed.  In the meantime, you could try
to let Apache rewrite the "Location" header used for redirection
(using the mod_headers module in Apache 2.4).

We did not fully test this (let alone use it in production), but for
a test setup with Pulp & crane running in a VM and port forwardings
(Host 5000 -> VM 5000, Host 9443 -> VM 443), we can 'docker pull' on
the host from crane using the following Apache config:

<VirtualHost *:5000>
    Header edit Location "^https://[^/]+" "https://localhost:9443"
    WSGIScriptAlias / /usr/share/crane/crane.wsgi
    <Location /crane>
        Require host localhost
    </Location>
    <Directory /usr/share/crane/>
        Require all granted
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

For example, without changing "Location", you would get this on
the host:

$ docker pull 127.0.0.1:5000/busybox:latest
Trying to pull repository 127.0.0.1:5000/busybox ...
Get https://default-bento-centos-74.vagrantup.com/pulp/docker/v2/busybox/manifests/list/latest: Not Found

Using the cofiguration from above, you get:

$ docker pull 127.0.0.1:5000/busybox:1.27.0-glibc
Trying to pull repository 127.0.0.1:5000/busybox ...
sha256:ebeb530823bf0f229b2e2559a1ea92298d7f1ce2efabd9030c5d2b1deac83af6: Pulling from 127.0.0.1:5000/busybox
02b2b239e358: Pull complete

- Simon