[Pulp-dev] RFC process

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 15:59:54 UTC 2017

One of the things that came up in our retrospective is that we don’t have a
formal way to propose changes to our codebase and processes (aka RFCs).
This was motivated in part by the recent discussion on merging forward
commits on our pulp-dev mailing list.

I'd like to maybe discuss a way we can propose RFCs and then document this
process in our docs. It sounds like there has already been some discussion
about how to handle RFCs so I apologize coming into this without having any
background.

Thinking through RFCs, I see two things to address. First is the actual
format of the RFC. I see some RFCs in plan.io but it doesn’t seem like
there’s a standard way of formatting an RFC. Should there be? For
reference, here's the template for foreman RFCs. I think it might serve as
a good starting point:

https://github.com/theforeman/rfcs/blob/master/0000-template.md

Secondly, there’s the question of where to discuss and archive RFCs. Some
possible options:

1. Open a story or task on plan.io
2. Use a GitHub repo to store and discuss RFCs (e.g.
https://github.com/theforeman/rfcs)
3. Write the RFC on an Etherpad and once accepted, open a plan.io issue.
4. Just send out RFCs to the mailing list
5. Something else?

I was thinking we could also use the mailing list in addition to options
1-3 by sending out an email pointing people to the actual RFC.

Thoughts?

David