[Pulp-dev] pulp-admin changes for Pulp 3?

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 21:35:44 UTC 2017

The REST API will be completely different. It will be auto-generated using
django-rest-framework, which brings a lot of advantages. It should be very
consistent, compliant, well-documented, and we might even be able to
auto-generate client libraries. That said, the core behaviors and concepts
will be largely the same as Pulp 2, so migrating a client from 2 to 3 will
mostly just involve using different URLs and different-but-similar data
structures.

As for pulp-admin, we're not sure yet how easy it will be to make it work
with Pulp 3. But I think we're getting close to a point where we'll be able
to give that a try and see if it floats. This much is certain: there is a
broad desire to replace pulp-admin completely. Things like pretty-printing,
error handling, inconsistent exit codes, and the sheer amount of vertical
space it uses to render data are some of the most frequently-observed rough
edges. It's not all bad, but we could do better. It's just a matter of
finding the time to get it prioritized. If it looks like making pulp-admin
compatible with Pulp 3 will be a lot of work, we're likely to redirect that
effort into a new client that is more likable.

So given those choices, if you're comfortable scripting against the API
directly, that's what I recommend. Although you can get a lot done with
just a little bit of pulp-admin, so even if you have to re-do that
integration in the future, it may be worth it for the low up-front cost.

If you want to talk in more detail about what you'd like to automate, we
could certainly help weigh the options.

Michael