[Pulp-dev] pulp-admin changes for Pulp 3?

Kodiak Firesmith kfiresmith at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 01:58:37 UTC 2017

Thanks Michael, that's useful information.

The primary thing I'd wanted to take a crack at is a useful method for
dumping repos into an ASCII multi-column table from one pulp server and
feed that ASCII data into a wrapper script that uses each line to re-create
a repo.

>From lurking on the list for a while, and from moving from host to host
myself, I've often wanted to be able to quickly populate a fresh Pulp
installation with repo defs without messing with mongo or doing an
import/export operation of any sort.

For the repo defs file I was planning on splitting the information for each
repo into the following columns, which will likely be stolen from the -vv
output of pulp-admin rpm repo list --detail:

{repo_id}  {feed_url}  {relative_url}  {serve_http}  {feed_key_needed?}
 {retain_old_count}  ...

...Then I'd just feed each repo def into a wrapper script for pulp-admin
rpm repo create.

This doesn't preserve repo path permissions or anything, but for that sort
of use case I'd be more likely to use my previously figured out backup /
restore method to transfer the repos.

Then again this might be a good opportunity for me to just give in and
continue learning Python and start messing with Requests.

Once we're on django-rest and things look like they will be stable for a
couple years I'll probably put in more effort on a DB-agnostic
server-to-server import/export method for populating Pulp servers that
captures things like path permissions and roles and such, which appears to
be a use case that others also might find to be useful.

 - Kodiak