[Pulp-dev] PUP Process: "obvious consensus"

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 19:20:45 UTC 2017

I asked about some of these governance questions to a group of community
managers from several open source projects that I meet with weekly. They
said that if you don't have a BDFL (Pulp does not) the other very popular
model is the lazy consensus model. I think lazy consensus is the spirit of
pup1. I asked for some examples and they pointed me at the CentOS
governance model [0][1].

Also @daviddavis and I were talking and codifying the problem as what value
should X be if X are the number of +1s required to pass a decision with
zero -1 votes (vetos)? The CentOS governance model sets X = 0 by stating
"There is no minimum +1 vote requirement". I'm also advocating for X=0 for
the reasons I wrote in my earlier email. Practically speaking, I don't
think an X=1, or X=2 will prevent many proposals that would have also
passed with X=0.

Regardless of the X value, we should continue the discussion so we can
arrive at a decision on both pup1 and pup3. Thanks for continuing the convo.

[0]:
https://www.centos.org/about/governance/appendix-glossary/#consensus-decision-making
[1]: https://www.centos.org/about/governance/voting/

-Brian