[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 app location

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Mon Jun 19 19:31:19 UTC 2017

I think we want all setup.py files to remain with a single subdirectory of
the git repo's root. Each such directory can have a human-readable name
that should likely correspond to the python package name. Each such
directory must contain a "pulpcore" directory containing that package's
source, side-by-side with the setup.py file.

If we had:

pulpcore/setup.py
pulpcore/app/

... then the root of the python namespace would be "app", which is not what
we want. It would be "from app import ..."

So given that understanding, I think we would just rename the "platform"
directory to "core" to match our existing layout. Or we could name it
"pulpcore" to exactly match the python package name, but then we'd
presumably rename all the other top level package directories to begin with
the word "pulp", which may not be desirable.

Does that make sense? I don't think we should move anything up a level, but
just rename.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Austin Macdonald <austin at redhat.com> wrote:

> We recently made the decision to namespace Pulp as "pulpcore" [0], but
> this has made our app location a little awkward:
> `pulp/platform/pulpcore/app`
>
> To kick off the conversation, I think the best place to start is a map of
> all of the setup.py files:
>
> bindings/setup.py
> client_admin/setup.py
> client_consumer/setup.py
> client_lib/setup.py
> common/setup.py
> devel/setup.py
> oid_validation/setup.py
> platform/setup.py
> plugins/setup.py
> repoauth/setup.py
> server/setup.py
> streamer/setup.py
>

> To me, it makes sense that pulpcore should move up a level, so the app
> would live in `pulp/pulpcore/app` and the setup py would live in
> `pulp/pulpcore/setup.py`
>

> [0]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/pulp-dev/2017-May/msg00030.html

Michael Hrivnak

Principal Software Engineer, RHCE