[Pulp-dev] proposing changes to pulp 3 upload API

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Thu Jun 29 20:51:02 UTC 2017

There is really one practical issue that is driving this convo (I think):
Django's file upload handling wants to save a file when we receive it. We
also don't want to be moving around files. Therefore we must save the file
in the right place on the first save().

So given ^, the question reduces to: "Where do we want to save a file that
backs an Artifact?" We can do that one of two ways: randomly or orderly.
Randomly would be inventing a uuid for each file and having that make the
path to the file unique. An orderly way of doing it would be to have an
digest be used instead of a uuid. Here are some path examples:

random_path_example (random uuid):    MEDIA_ROOT/artifact/uuid[0:2]/uuid[2:]
orderly_path_example (sha256 is the binary's digest):
MEDIA_ROOT/artifact/digest[0:2]/digest[2:]

Random assignment is straightforward, and it also allows one Artifact to
serve exactly one content unit allowing CASCADE delete's to handle cleanup
easily. The problem with random assignment is that it prevents an important
down-the-road use case:  "as a user who has a file backup but not a
database backup, I can recover my data without having to re-download all of
my content from remotes". Specifically, if Artifact's paths are randomly
chosen at upload time then if someone hands you a disk of Artifacts and
asks you to sync EPEL, there is no way Pulp can reasonably recognize
content it has on disk as already existing there.

This is where content addressable storage comes in. If the remoteArtifact
has the sha256 hash value set from the remote metadata that was fetched,
Pulp's changesets could recognize data on disk as already downloaded. A
random layout can never do that. A tertiary outcome of using Content
Addressable Store is that now each file backing an Artifact can only be
stored on the filesystem. I say "tertiary outcome" and not "downside"
because even though it's harder for us to implement, users would definitely
see it as a benefit that Pulp can't duplicate content at an Architectural
level.

Please send thoughts/ideas.

-Brian