[Pulp-dev] pulp3: Publishing Proposal

Patrick Creech pcreech at redhat.com
Fri Jun 30 12:50:27 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-29 at 18:48 -0400, Michael Hrivnak wrote:

> > I also want to make a similar point here about carrying a content protection feature in Pulp and not relying on Apache exclusively for it. As a developer I should be able to have the same content
> > protection features with runserver as you do with Apache so that developer environment are fully functional with runserver.
> >

> This is tricky. Trying to do our own SSL logic has been difficult in the past, which is why we did our best to offload client certificate authentication to httpd. I'm happy to explore the options,
> but I don't think we need to re-implement every httpd feature we want to use, especially when it comes to authentication. Speaking of, we are also planning to use httpd modules to integrate with
> third-party identity management for REST API authentication, and I similarly don't think we need to re-implement that in python.

For most scenarios, offloading this to the web server is going to be the right way.  Most web servers (nginx, apache, iis, etc...) have ways to pass this information into the web application in a
trustable manner, and are the right way.  Runserver is not something more than a simple tool to assist in development, and we shouldn't limit what best practices we can and can't do by it's
limitations.