[Pulp-dev] versioned repositories

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Wed May 24 19:38:51 UTC 2017

Versioned repos are super important to the future of Pulp. I need to state
that because I'm going to make a case for us deferring this
discussion/design/prototype until after Pulp 3.0 is GA. My major concern is
getting Pulp3 to a release sooner instead of later.

* To retell what I heard @jsherrill state on the use cases call yesterday.
Implementing a feature internally in an MVP and not fully exposing it to
the user does not make sense. Internals we can change/rework all day, but
the thing we need to get right is the API because of semver.

* If ^ is true, I think all we need right now is to understand what the API
looks like with 3.0 that will allow us to bring the versioned repo
amazingness with 3.1+ without breaking semver. Some of that is in this
thread, but most of the thread is answering questions about use cases for
versioned repos usage which would be in 3.1 at the earliest.

We could spend time and energy on sorting use cases and implementation
options now, but I think instead we should get to work on wrapping up core
and getting into the plugin conversion which will get us closer to release.

If we adopt ^, then the next use cases call would be the regularly
scheduled 'Status and Consumer Applicability' call. Also we would need to
get answers to: What does the API look like for repositories in 3.0 and
what does it look like in 3.1+ when versioned repos are introduced. We
should answer those questions not on a use case call because API layout
isn't a use case concern.

-Brian