[Pulp-dev] PUP-3: Proposal to change our git workflow

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Thu May 25 15:41:05 UTC 2017

+1 from me

I read the article, but does it really apply to us? The issues it describes
stemsfrom "when a change is cherry-picked into a branch and there is a
conflict a new commitid is created". In our case when a cherry pick back
creates a conflict we are recommending to abandon the cherry pick [1] which
should avoid the situation.

If we're unable to pass this vote, I'm left with two practical problems.
Mainly in terms of PRs from the community. We're getting more PRs from the
community.

1) For almost all bugfix PRs that are opened from non core devs they target
master. With the current process we need to ask them to rebase their code
and then close+reopen the PR against the current x.y-dev branch.

2) After a community PR is merged, I need to merge it forward. If there are
any conflicts at that point I (the merger) needs to fix up code I didn't
write. That is not a good position for the person merging to be in.

I'm not able to facilitate these things anymore. If we can't pass the vote
who will handle ^ situations?

[1]:
https://github.com/pulp/pups/pull/3/files#diff-18a9b677be3c8c4434ac32097da7fa58R86

-Brian