[Pulp-dev] [pulp 3] cast() method for casting from a Master to Detail model instance

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Fri May 26 20:27:36 UTC 2017

I agree with everything you said.

The problem occurs when a worker receives a task to perform a publish, but
it doesn't have the plugin installed. As a result the call to
publisher.cast() returns the master model. The publish task then tries to
call a method on the master model that does not exist. The user then sees
an attribute not found exception in the logs. It would be better to raise a
more useful exception in the cast() method itself when it is not able to
cast to anything.

One suggestion was to add an optional call_counter keyword argument to
cast(self, call_count=0). The argument would only be passed in to
cast(call_count=call_count+1) when it is being recursively called. Then we
could check if line 113 is reached with call_count==0 and raise an
exception saying that the master model could not be cast to a detail model.

Thoughts?