[Pulp-dev] proposal: global importer settings

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Thu Nov 2 15:25:05 UTC 2017

I've been working on a planning task for how Pulp 3 will handle global
importer settings. As part of that, I've collected feedback from a number
of stakeholders. You can view the planning task here:

https://pulp.plan.io/issues/2373

The aspect that everyone seems to agree on is that proxies should be
configured once in one place, and that other download-related settings are
a good fit for the same mechanism. I wrote up a story for that here, and I
would appreciate feedback and grooming:

https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3108

There is much less clarity around other settings. This is because most
other settings that we would consider for global scope would need the
ability to be overridden at the individual importer level. That
multi-layered approach where an individual importer's settings take
precedence over the global settings is how Pulp 2 works, but it is not
generally liked. Katello for example only uses that feature in Pulp 2 to
define download-related settings; proxy, concurrency, and bandwidth limits.
Many stakeholders expressed concern about retaining a multi-layered
approach to configuring importers. Doing so also would add substantial
complexity to how Pulp 3 implements settings, and it adds complexity to the
user experience.

So my proposal is that we do not provide a way to globally set other
importer settings in Pulp 3.0. If clear use cases and motivation arise, I
think that would be reasonable to add this in 3.1+.

Thoughts or feedback on that?

--

Michael Hrivnak

Principal Software Engineer, RHCE