[Pulp-dev] REST API Milestone/alpha?

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 19:06:25 UTC 2017

Just to support what's been said:

User-scheduled actions are definitely out for pulp 3. We'll encourage other
ways of accomplishing that. In the Foreman environment for example, they
already have their own scheduler to use.

When a user requests a task to be run, Pulp will still run it in a similar
way to Pulp 2. For example when a user says "sync this repo right now",
Pulp will still create a task that has a similar lifecycle to what you're
familiar with. What Pulp 3 will no longer offer is the ability to say "sync
this every night at 2am" or "sync this at some specific point in the
future".

Consumer management will be limited to what's necessary for applicability
calculation. Pulp (whether a part of the core API or a separate service we
make) will need to know about consumers and what repos they are bound to,
but there will be no interaction with the consumers directly. Pulp will not
manage them. There will need to be some endpoints somewhere to allow CRUD
on consumers, their profiles, and their bindings. There will also need to
be endpoints somewhere for initiating calculation of applicability and
retrieving the results. But we haven't decided where exactly that will live.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Austin Macdonald <austin at redhat.com> wrote:

> Schedule actions are also out of Pulp 3 (I think). There is a generic
> tasks api, which already includes start and finish times.
>
>        {
>             "_href": "http://pulp3.dev:8000/api/v3/
> tasks/8a1fc85f-6f74-47b0-b47a-fc5e468ca095/",
>             "error": null,
>             "finished_at": "2017-10-03T20:09:29.099491Z",
>             "group": null,
>             "non_fatal_errors": [],
>             "parent": null,
>             "progress_reports": [],
>             "started_at": "2017-10-03T20:09:29.078859Z",
>             "state": "completed",
>             "tags": [],
>             "worker": "http://pulp3.dev:8000/api/v3/
> workers/reserved_resource_worker_2 at pulp3.dev/"
>         }
>

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Og Maciel <omaciel at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Austin Macdonald <austin at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Consumers are not going to be a part of Pulp 3 (except for calculating
>> > applicability), so we don't need to worry about #3041 regarding Pulp3.
>>
>> But isn't the Task api generic and includes other types of scheduled
>> actions?
>> --
>> Og Maciel
>>
>> Senior Manager, Quality Engineering