[Pulp-dev] Pulp Packaging Redesign

Patrick Creech pcreech at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 20:42:05 UTC 2017

Pulp Packaging Redesign

Over the past few weeks I've been working at redesigning pulp's packaging workflow and tooling with a goal of simplification and automation in mind.  I've taken inspiration from foreman and katello's
upstream, as well as an ansible based approach used in satellite's downstream process.  The goal here is to move release engineering content out of the project repos and into something purpose built
for release engineering, decoupling the rpm generation process from the python codebase while also helping aid in the consumption of pulp bits for various downstream projects.  The first steps in this
process was to create the new nightly generation, while also being able to run our testing against these new bits.

As of today, I'm proposing the following changes:

* Move the pulp-packaging[0] repo under pulp
* renaming of pulp_packaging[1] to pulp-ci
* deprecation of the pulp/packaging[2] repository, and removal after the scl work gets moved into pulp-packaging[0]
* cloning of tool_belt[3] into pulp so we can modify it for the cherry-picking process and other pulp-specific initatives
* deprecating the use of "deps/", "*.spec" and "dist_list.txt" files in the code repos during the 2.15 cycle, with removal in the 2.16 cycle.

Thanks,
Patrick

[0] https://github.com/pcreech/pulp-packaging
[1] https://github.com/pulp/pulp_packaging