[Pulp-dev] Pulp Packaging Redesign

Jeremy Audet jaudet at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 15:04:03 UTC 2017

> The goal here is to move release engineering content out of the project
repos and into something purpose built for release engineering, decoupling
the rpm generation process from the python codebase while also helping aid
in the consumption of pulp bits for various downstream projects.

What's this? Loose coupling? Single responsibility principle? Say no more!
I'm on board.

More seriously, though, I would love to see the level of complexity
surrounding Pulp's release engineering reduced. If I was to try packaging
up Pulp for distribution on some other Linux distribution as in independent
third party, I'd quickly feel overwhelmed by how the various bits and
pieces are spread across all of the pulp and pulp_* repos,
pulp/pulp_packaging, pulp/packaging (and all of its branches!), etc. And I
say this as someone who's been around the product full-time for a couple
years now. This proposal seems sane, it targets those concerns, and it
comes from someone who's highly qualified. If QE needs to do anything, say
so.