[Pulp-dev] [pulp 3] proposed change to publishing REST api

Jeremy Audet jaudet at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 15:12:10 UTC 2017

> 'example' is an identifier for the publisher type

So you might have two "rpm" publishers, for example? OK.

> Normally in REST when a user creates a resource via POST to a collection
endpoint, they are expected to provide a representation of the new
resource, even if it is only partial.

No, not true.

If one wishes to perform a partial update of an existing resource, then
it's appropriate to make an HTTP POST request whose body is a partial
representation. But there's more than one way to use POST. If one wishes to
create a new resource without specifying the path to that resource, then
it's appropriate to make an HTTP POST request, whose body is completely
opaque.

HTTP POSTs are an escape hatch. You can do all sorts of crazy things with
them, and nobody can cache the request or response.

Slight tangent, but have I pointed out that one can create a resource with
an HTTP PUT? It's entirely correct to do so. The only interesting
restrictions are that:

* The body of that request must contain a complete representation of the
resource being created.
* The full path to the resource being created must be specified.