[Pulp-dev] [pulp 3] proposed change to publishing REST api

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 18:59:54 UTC 2017

Agreed on publications not having 'natural key's for the same reasons you
outline.

The tasking system has a progress reporting feature to report progress, but
it's not a place for general reporting. The reasoning is outlined in the
notes from @ichimonji10 and myself earlier.

>From a high level, we want a relationship between objects produced by tasks
and the tasks that produce them. I think this motivates having
Publication.task (FK to Task). With this design the user would

1. POST to http://localhost:8000/api/v3/repositories/foo/publishers/example/bar/publications/
with {'publisher': 'http://path/to/my/publisher'}
2. The user receives a 201 with Publication.task containing the url to
monitor by.
3. The user monitors the publication via the URL.

We mostly avoid this problem with sync because the updates aren't about
objects created it's more about "what is going on" reporting.

-Brian