[Pulp-dev] Pulp3 - JWT Authorization Header

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Oct 30 14:55:19 UTC 2017

I think it would be ideal if we used 'Bearer: ' instead of 'JWT: '. If you
use our docs, you'll be able to submit your JWT correctly. If you say 'oh I
see Pulp uses JWT' and you follow the example in the official (I think?)
JWT site [0] you'll submit a JWT to Pulp using those docs it won't work.
This is also a problem in practice; I've heard of two separate occasions
where JWT was thought to be broken because it was submitted 'Bearer: '
which Pulp wants 'JWT: '.

The reasoning for the plugin to choose JWT over Bearer has to do with their
goals of being able to be used side-by-side a OAuth2 *and* allow your auth
types to be in any order. I don't think this affects Pulp because Pulp
isn't supporting OAuth2 anytime soon if ever, and even if we do, I don't
think that's a good reason to invent a new way to submit a JWT (which they
did).

I'm +1 to filing a story against Pulp to configure our usage of the plugin
to have the JWT be submitted using 'Bearer: ' instead of 'JWT: '. Shall I
file this? What do you all think?

[0]: https://jwt.io/introduction/

-Brian