[Pulp-dev] Publishing an Alpha

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Sep 11 16:10:09 UTC 2017

Pulp3 is nearing an alpha-ready point which means that it is not yet
feature complete with the MVP doc [0], but it is ready for some plugin
writing to be started (or at least planned). I want to check in how how
we'll release deliver those bits and how we'll install those bits.

## Proposal (use a git tag)

Tag the alpha with a name like 'alpha1' and push that tag to github. Then
install directly from github manually.

pip install -e git://github.com/pulp/pulp.git@alpha1

This won't pollute PyPI with a bunch of alphas, and it will let users (and
QE) install a specific point-in-time snapshot even though new code is being
merged daily.

## Alternatives

The second best alternative (I think) is to push the packages to PyPI with
each alpha release and have pip install from PyPI. I think this would be
better for betas.

## Other Alternatives

Other options include hosting the python packages via a webserver, or
building and distributing RPMs somehow. I don't think either of these are
viable on the timeline we probably need this on.

Please send ideas or comments.

[0]: https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp/wiki/Pulp_3_Minimum_Viable_Product

Thanks,
Brian