[Pulp-dev] Plugin relationship to tasks

Austin Macdonald amacdona at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 18:54:36 UTC 2018

Thanks for the classifications.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Dennis Kliban <dkliban at redhat.com> wrote:

I think of these actions as 2 new types of resource in Pulp. Unlike
> Remotes(Importers currently) and Content, these resources are singletons
> that each plugin provides. Since users don't need to create new instances
> of these resources it makes sense that they are represented by a View
> instead of a ViewSet. Though we don't even need to explain that to plugin
> writers. We just need to tell them that all operations that their plugin
> provides for users need to be sublassed from ActionView.
>
> From the users point of view a GET on /api/v3/versionsactions/ to find a
> versionaction href is the same as performing a GET on /api/v3/remotes/ to
> find the href for a specific remote to sync from.
>
> Auto documentation would work perfectly.

Its not that it would be "broken" or "wrong". I just think that users
expect the documentation to include behavior and parameters-- ideally,
there should be enough information to create a request. In this case
however, the documentation just explains how to retrieve the necessary
information. It works, but I don't think it is ideal that the user needs to
make other GET requests to learn how to use an API endpoint.