[Pulp-dev] remove AUTHORS

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 13:12:55 UTC 2018

There are problems I see with the AUTHORS file:

- It exposes personal info. It makes it easy for headhunters to reap email
addresses.
- Currently it’s out of date and authors are missing (e.g. @dawalker)
- It’s badly formatted. It looks like it’s somewhat alphabetical order but
the last entry is M[1]
- People would prefer not to be in it so we can’t autogenerate/autoupdate it
- Sometimes we have to revert commits and people often update AUTHORS in
the same commit (e.g. [2])
- Perhaps most importantly, there already is a contributors page on
github[3] and also you can use git shortlog to get a list of contributors.

I’m +1 on removing the AUTHORS file.

[1] https://git.io/vxMLp
[2] https://github.com/pulp/pulp/commit/8b6b11e45a72fffb56e7482a1d91fa4
<https://github.com/pulp/pulp/commit/8b6b11e45a72fffb56e7482a1d91fa4dbae698e1#diff-3d350169560e75d0cf9fc8e3574a3639R22>
dbae698e1#diff-3d350169560e75d0cf9fc8e3574a3639R22
<https://github.com/pulp/pulp/commit/8b6b11e45a72fffb56e7482a1d91fa4dbae698e1#diff-3d350169560e75d0cf9fc8e3574a3639R22>
[3] https://github.com/pulp/pulp/graphs/contributors

David