[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 REST API Challenges

Austin Macdonald austin at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 19:18:17 UTC 2018

Folks,

Austin, Dennis, and Milan have identified the following issues with current
Pulp3 REST API design:

   - Action endpoints are problematic.
   - Example POST@/importers/<plugin>/sync/
      - They are non-RESTful and would make client code tightly coupled
      with the server code.
      - These endpoints are inconsistent with the other parts of the REST
      API.
      - DRF is not being used as intended for action endpoints so we have
      to implement extra code. (against the grain)
   - We don't have a convention for where plug-in-specific, custom
   repository version creation endpoints.
   - example POST@/api/v3/<where?>/docker/add/
      - needs to be discoverable through the schema
   - For direct repository version creation, plugins are not involved.
   - validation correctness problem: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3541
      - example: POST@/api/v3/repositories/<repository_id>/versions/

We would like to get feedback on these issues being sound and worth
resolving before we resume particular solution discussion[1].

Thanks,
Austin, Dennis, and Milan

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/pulp-dev/2018-March/msg00066.html