[Pulp-dev] Publication delete, sync or async?

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 16:13:23 UTC 2018

On 04/11/2018 10:34 AM, Austin Macdonald wrote:
> From our checkin meeting, there was an MVP doc question that needed
> some discussion:
> *
> Publications:*https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp/wiki/Pulp_3_Minimum_Viable_Product#Publications
> <https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp/wiki/Pulp_3_Minimum_Viable_Product#Publications>
>
>       o /As a user, As an authenticated user, I can delete publications./
>           + /asynchronously with a lock on the repository version. /
>           + /prevented if associated with a distribution./
>           + /single object only./
>
>     In the code, Publication deletes are synchronous, not asynchronous
>     like the MVP docs says. I think the code is correct, so we should
>     remove this line. If we do not remove this line, we should write a
>     story to make this call async.
>
>     In the code, Publication deletes are not blocked by association to
>     distributions. Should write a story or remove this line?

I propose we leave the publication delete synchronous (non locking) for
now.  The code should be setting the Distribution.publication = NULL and
this seems like a reasonable thing.  If we make publication DELETE
asynchronous (with locking), we'd need to also make setting the
Distribution.publication asynchronous (with locking) to prevent race
conditions.  This all seems more complicated than necessary.

>     "single object only". What does that mean? If it means 1
>     publication at a time, that is how all our objects work, so I
>     think we can delete this line.

+0 delete that line.