[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 Release Process Questions

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 20:40:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Patrick Creech <pcreech at redhat.com> wrote:

> Pulp,
>
> So, while working on the packaging work, I figured it be nice to start
> talking about release process expectations around nightlies, beta, and GA.
>
> Generally, what is pulp's release plan?  What are the expectations here?

The release process for Pulp 3 will be different from what we do for Pulp
2. Our plan for publishing Pulp 3 with quality to PyPI is outlined on our
wiki[0]. We are hoping to be able to release to PyPI once a week during the
beta cycle. After the packages are published to PyPI,  any of the
derivative packaging (RPM, Debian, etc) can be performed. The build team
can decide how often the derivative packages need to be produced.

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp/wiki/Continuous_Delivery_of_Pulp_3

> And also, more specifically,
>
> Based on what we do for pulp 2, when will pulp 'code freeze'? What is the
> expected turnaround from 'code freeze to 'packages shipped'.  We should
> probably agree on some expectations of turnaround
> time.

The code will be frozen when it is published to PyPI.

> Is there a staging process in place yet for packages (pypi or rpm)? Is
> there testing expectations of these pre-release bits to ensure quality?
> With pypi being a valid install location, are these
> releases to be coordinated?

As outlined on the wiki, we plan to ensure quality at merge time of every
commit.

> Where are pulp 3 bits expected to be hosted?  How are we going to handle
> signing packages?

Pulp 3 will always be published to PyPI. Any derivative packages can be
hosted on fedorapeople.org. I'd like to defer to someone else to speak
about the signing.