[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 Release Process Questions

Jeremy Audet jaudet at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 16:10:39 UTC 2018

Using Travis jobs instead of Jenkins jobs for testing Pulp 3 releases begs
several questions:

   - Are those Travis jobs testing combinations of web servers, AMQP
   brokers, databases, etc? If not, is testing across those combinations a
   goal?
   - Let's say pulp_file is being tested. Is both it and pulpcore installed
   from source? Or is pulpcore installed from egg/wheel?
   - Who is looking at Jenkins jobs? If only QE, why have Jenkins jobs?
   (Possible answer: So that we can trigger test runs on an as-needed basis,
   without making new git commits.)
   - What does this mean for goals like multi-host testing? That is, what
   does this mean for the case where a single Pulp 3 application is deployed
   across multiple hosts? Can that be tested with Travis? Pulp Smash is
   architected with this in mind, and it's been a long standing goal. The
   biggest impediment has been the use of legacy Jenkins (1.x) and nodepool,
   and recent upgrades make this a more realistic testing target.

If these questions have already been considered and answered somewhere,
please point me to the correct resource.