[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 Release Process Questions

Patrick Creech pcreech at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 20:33:16 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-23 at 15:22 -0400, Brian Bouterse wrote:
> Travis CI runs a few OSes, but not RHEL and Fedora, or many others. Travis is good for ensuring that Pulp's main release asset (the pypi packages) are being tested continuously.
>
> Ensuring that Pulp runs on any given OS is a different kind of testing. Whoever packages for a given distro (rhel, fedora, debian, etc) will need to determine how they will test/track the
> correctness of the packaged asset itself. To that end the build team may want to run pulp smash against built RPMs in a different environment other than Travis and that would be fine.

One thing to point out here, there is a difference in ensuring that pulp installed from pypi runs on various distributions, and ensuring that distribution specific packages run on successfully on
their respective distributions.  The extent of whatever testing is done on rpms would/should be done in a way that ensures the rpm packaged version works the same as the pypi packaged version.

Pulp 2's userbase primarily uses rpm based distributions.  If your support statement is 'It works on travis!' without ensuring pulp 3 works on your dominant userbase's machines, then I do not think
that is a great attitude to have with regards to pulp's userbase.

And while build team is happy to provide automation, configuration, and setup to help package up pypi packages into rpms, I doubt we can commit to doing the legwork to ensure the code itself works
specifically on said distributions. (i.e. selinux, systemd daemon scripts, etc...).