[Pulp-dev] Pulp api seemingly incompatible with generated bindings

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 14:53:37 UTC 2018

On 04/30/2018 10:46 AM, Jeremy Audet wrote:
> > +1. Exposing UUIDs is definitely preferable to using hrefs as ids.
>  "The app just looks at the relative path"  -> what if pulp wants the
> flexibility to change repositories end point (highly improbable but
> you never know).
>
> Is it better, though? URIs were chosen specifically with immutability
> in mind. "Cool URIs don't change." This is reflected in the
> application's behaviour. If one changes an object's attributes (e.g.
> UUID), its href doesn't change.
>
> And in what case are hostname and port changing? If that's a common
> deployment issue, I would contend that the deployment at hand is
> screwed up.

I somewhat agree with you, however enough users have requested (or
should i say demanded) this feature that katello now ships support for
it natively.  Satellite does as well:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1232133

I wish it were not a common issue, but it is, enough so that this is a
requirement of any integration that katello does with pulp 3.

Justin