[Pulp-dev] Revisit: sync modes

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 16:53:07 UTC 2018

It's possible we could want additional sync_modes in the future. To me,
sync mode deals with the contents of the repo during the sync. There are
other ways you would want to have a sync associate content with a
repository. Consider a retention behavior that retains 5 versions of each
unit, e.g. rpms, ansible modules, etc; that behavior is somewhere in
between mirror and additive. If we make mirror a boolean then to introduce
this retention feature we would have to add it as an additional option.
This creates the downside I hope to avoid which is that interaction between
options becomes complicated.

For example, a call with both (mirror=False, retention=True) now becomes
more complicated to think about. Is it mirroring or using the retention
policy? How do these interact? At that point, it seems more complicated
than what we have now. The way to avoid this is by keeping them together as
one option, but that can only be done if it stays as a string.