[Pulp-dev] creating repository version resources using a single REST endpoint

Austin Macdonald amacdona at redhat.com
Mon Jan 8 21:24:57 UTC 2018

>From a discussion with dkliban I see that this design could work. Plugin
tasks would be imported to pulpcore with a mechanism similar to the named
viewsets and serializers.

Pro: plugins would define tasks that follow a consistent interface (sync,
rich copy, etc)
Con: plugins would be restricted to tasks that are explicitly part of that
interface.

For the docs, I think this puts the endpoint in an awkward position. What
does each action do? Would the actions be generic enough that we could
correctly explain each of them as part of the core REST API docs?

We should also discuss synchronous validation. If a plugin's viewset
dispatches their own tasks, they can also define their own POST body
requirements aperform arbitrary synchronous validation. If the
RepositoryVersionViewset dispatches the task, synchronous validation could
still be done as part of the interface, with plugins also defining
something like "sync_validation" which would be run before the task is
dispatched.

Overall, I am convinced that this is a viable option, noting that this
design favors consistency between plugins over flexibility. If the plugin
viewsets are the ones to dispatch tasks instead, the plugins can do
whatever they need to, at the cost of consistency between plugins.