[Pulp-dev] Multi-Resource Locking

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 19:30:32 UTC 2018

On Friday, we have a meeting to go over the issue on multi-resource locking
in Pulp 3[0]. I wanted to send out an email to make sure we’re on the same
page before the meeting.

The first question is around whether we need multi-resource locking.
Currently in Pulp 3, importers and publishers are tied to repositories via
a foreign key. However, we’ve decided to remove that relationship. Is that
correct? If so, I think this makes multi-resource locking a necessity as
publishing or syncing tasks will need to lock on the importer or publisher
(respectively) in addition to the repo (or repo version).

My second question is around whether we ought to lock on repository or
repository version for tasks like repo version deletion, syncing, etc. I
think the proposal we were discussing last was to lock on repository
instead of repo version. The reason being that locking on repositories is
simpler given our current design, which tracks content changes across repo
versions making them interdependent. Is there any disagreement around that?
Or does anyone want to suggest an alternate proposal?

Lastly, I’m wondering if there are any other questions or suggestions
relating to this topic that we ought to consider during this meeting.

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3186

David