[Pulp-dev] Ideas for the plugin template

Austin Macdonald austin at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 15:29:47 UTC 2018

I've recently updated the plugin_template to work with the latest
master (3.0). [0] The template handles almost all of the bootstrapping
work necessary to write a new plugin, so it is valuable to keep it up to
date. Given human nature, it's likely that the plugin_template will tend
to fall behind as it did recently. I have some ideas to save time while
keeping the template current and useful.

1) Move the plugin writer docs [1] into the plugin_template repository
        - Leave a (very) high level overview in the core docs with a link to
          the template docs.
        - Plugin writer docs PRs would only go to one place, and it would
          be easier keep the docs in line with the code.
        - Narrative docs in the template would explain what needs to be
          done generally, linking to the modules.
        - Specific instructions would live in the code modules alongside
          basic working code, and additional commented out code
          to demonstrate and explain more complex behaviors.

 2) Add pulp_smash tests for basic functionality of a bootstrapped plugin.
         - Run these tests as a check on pulpcore and template PRs
         - Ensure that discoverability works
         - Fail with breaking Plugin API changes
         - If the test uses pulp_smash, it would include a base set of
           integration tests for every new plugin.

My reasoning is that no matter what changes we make to pulpcore,
we need to keep the plugin writer docs updated. Doing this in the
template will provide value for plugin writers, and will inform pulpcore
developers when it needs to be updated.

[0]: https://github.com/pulp/plugin_template/pull/9
[1]: https://github.com/pulp/pulp/tree/master/docs/plugins/plugin-writer