[Pulp-dev] Pulp RPM dependency solver refactoring dilemma

Milan Kovacik mkovacik at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 15:30:05 UTC 2018

Folks,

TL;DR should we support alternative solvers (configuration) during
recursive unit association?

I've been refactoring the current approach to RPM dependency solving
for e.g the recursive copy to be able to handle rich dependencies[1].

While testing, I ran into an dependency issue that is caused by me not
processing file-provides records correctly[2].

No matter the current insufficiency in my coding, a user trying to
copy stuff from a repo with libsolv-unresolvable dependencies might
hit similar issues and consider them regressions from previous
behavior, hence the question:

Should the user be able to select a solver (configuration) for
particular associate call thru the REST API?

Cheers,
milan

[1] https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/pull/1122
[2] https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/pull/1122#issuecomment-400061802