[Pulp-dev] Pulp RPM dependency solver refactoring dilemma

Milan Kovacik mkovacik at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 10:11:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:04 PM, Justin Sherrill <jsherril at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 06/26/2018 11:30 AM, Milan Kovacik wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> TL;DR should we support alternative solvers (configuration) during
>> recursive unit association?
>>
>> I've been refactoring the current approach to RPM dependency solving
>> for e.g the recursive copy to be able to handle rich dependencies[1].
>>
>> While testing, I ran into an dependency issue that is caused by me not
>> processing file-provides records correctly[2].
>>
>> No matter the current insufficiency in my coding, a user trying to
>> copy stuff from a repo with libsolv-unresolvable dependencies might
>> hit similar issues and consider them regressions from previous
>> behavior, hence the question:
>>
>> Should the user be able to select a solver (configuration) for
>> particular associate call thru the REST API?
>>
> I commented on the PR, but i think the behavior we're seeing is okay and
> can be ignored (assuming we can still pull in the deps that are
> available).  Assuming we can, do we still need it to be configurable?

Turns out we can by simply ignoring the solver problems; might have as well
investigated it yesterday ;)

> I would also like to point out this issue to keep in mind:
> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/2478

That behaviour is already addressed in the PR by the solver considering the
target repository content
<https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/pull/1122/files#diff-9c78b41ed1e2ec586589ed71d730b93eR56>
.
I wonder whether I should set the issue state accordingly...