[Pulp-dev] let's rename RepositoryVersion to Snapshot

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 14:47:13 UTC 2018

I think the change would be positive in several ways. Snapshot is a more
familiar term that we can give content on what that means in Pulp (content
not settings). I think this will make Pulp more approachable. It also
aligns with the language aptly uses which I see as a good thing for clarity
in our similar software space. They define a snapshot as a "immutable list
of packages". https://www.aptly.info/doc/overview/

This also solves the inconsistent naming problem between RepositoryVersion
and RepoVersion. We try to enforce a standard but people still shorten it
because the name is just so long. Renaming it to snapshot would resolve
this.

It would be painful, but a fancy IDE can do most of the renaming
automatically.

So a +1 from me.