[Pulp-dev] Port Pulp3 to use RQ

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 20:18:47 UTC 2018

Thank you for the questions. I put some responses inline.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Austin Macdonald <austin at redhat.com> wrote:

> Not being familiar with RQ, I have questions (but no opinion).
>
> Will we also be replacing RabbitMQ with Redis?

Yes this would replace RabbitMQ/Qpid with Redis. RQ only works with Redis.

> Does anyone on the team have experience with RQ? In production?

I do not have production experience. I've run it locally to see if it runs
as easy as they say it does. I also reviewed their code some.

> How well does RQ scale?

I started up several workers on my machine and they processed some dummy
tasks I dispatched well. Pulp has very low throughput needs, maybe a few
tasks per minute per worker.

> Is RQ's use of `pickle` a problem? https://pulp.plan.io/issues/23

It's not preferred, but I think it's ok to go out with that for Pulp3 at
the start. At some point we could swap it for a json serializer which would
be safer.

> RQ doesn't work on Windows. Is that a problem? (jk)

Pulp could maybe run on Windows one day so this isn't ideal.