[Pulp-dev] Pulp CLI MVP User Stories

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Thu May 17 15:52:01 UTC 2018

The use cases we outlined earlier provide very little value over using
httpie to interact with the REST API directly. I'd like to propose 5 new
use cases:

   - As a CLI user, I can create a repository, a remote, a publisher, and a
   distribution with a single command.
   - As a CLI user, I can create a repository version, a publication, and
   update the distribution with a single command.
   - As a CLI user, I can list remote types available on the Pulp server.
   - As a CLI user, I can list publisher types available on the Pulp server.
   - As a CLI user, I can list all repositories available on the Pulp
   server.

The use cases proposed at the beginning on this thread require the user to
perform 4 steps before any content can be synced:

1) Create repository
2) Create remote
3) Create publisher
4) Create distribution

The goal for the CLI should be to reduce this to a single step. The CLI
will need to make some assumptions for the user: publisher name,
distribution name, auto publish, auto distribute, and maybe others.
However, this will allow the user to use a single command to create a
repository that's ready for sync/publish.

Sync/Publish/Distribute workflow can also be 3 steps:

1) Create a new repository version
2) Create a new publication
3) Update distribution

The goal here is to also reduce this to a single step.

The other use cases are auxiliary.

Questions? Thoughts? Ideas?

-Dennis