[Pulp-dev] Content types which are not compatible with the normal pulp workflow

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Fri May 25 21:05:45 UTC 2018

I think Pulp does have enough value proposition over a script-based
alternative to make it worthwile for all of those types of plugins. Here
are a few points I think about:

* scalability. A common story users tell is that scripts work well up until
a point. Doing it for an entire organization, or when content comes from
many places, or with more than a few people involved in maintaining the
content, it becomes unmaintainable.

* Stacks of content. Often a group of content goes together, but each piece
of content is updated separately. For instance with Ansible roles, you may
use many of them together to deploy something, but each role may receive
changes separately. I think of all this content together as a "stack".
Keeping everything up to date can be challenging. Managing that change with
scripts can be hard and fragile. Also the ability to rollback quickly an
confidently is something Pulp can offer.

* Organizing content is easier. Having an API that you can use to organize
content is easier than doing lots and lots of git yourself or with scripts.

* Tasking. Long running tasks (and a lot of them) can be unweildy, and Pulp
makes that very organized and run very well.

* Static and vulnerability analysis. We're seeing interest in using
analysis projects like Clair (https://github.com/arminc/clair-scanner) to
scan content in Pulp. By bringing all the content into one place, and that
place having a tasking system that plugin writers can control how their
content can be analyzed continuously.

Also +1 to jortel's idea. I think that's a great idea and exactly what we
need.