[Pulp-dev] Lazy for Pulp3

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Tue May 29 15:13:24 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Milan Kovacik <mkovacik at redhat.com> wrote:

> Good point!
> More the second; it might be a bit crazy to utilize Squid for that but
> first, let's answer the why ;)
> So why does Pulp need to store the content here?
> Why don't we point the users to the Squid all the time (for the lazy
> repos)?

Pulp's Streamer needs to fetch and store the content because that's Pulp's
primary responsibility. If some of the content lived in Squid and some
lived in Pulp, it would be difficult for the user to know what content is
actually available in Pulp and what content needs to be fetched from a
remote repository.

As Pulp downloads an Artifact, it calculates all the checksums and it's
size. It then performs validation based on information that was provided
from the RemoteArtifact. After validation is performed, the Artifact, is
saved to the database and it's final place in /var/lib/content/artifacts/.
Once this information is in the database, Pulp's web server can serve the
content without having to involve the Streamer or Squid.

-dennis