[Pulp-dev] Lazy for Pulp3

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Wed May 30 14:50:52 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Tom McKay <thomasmckay at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think there is a usecase for "proxy only" like is being described here.
> Several years ago there was a project called thumbslug[1] that was used in
> a version of katello instead of pulp. It's job was to check entitlements
> and then proxy content from a cdn. The same functionality could be
> implemented in pulp. (Perhaps it's even as simple as telling squid not to
> cache anything so the content would never make it from cache to pulp in
> current pulp-2.)

What would you call this policy?
policy=proxy?
policy=stream-dont-save?
policy=stream-no-save?

Are the names 'on-demand' and 'immediate' clear enough? Are there better
names?

> Overall I'm +1 to the idea of an only-squid version, if others think it
> would be useful.

I understand describing this as a "only-squid" version, but for clarity,
the streamer would still be required because it is what requests the bits
with the correctly configured downloader (certs, proxy, etc). The streamer
streams the bits into squid which provides caching and client multiplexing.

To confirm my understanding this "squid-only" policy would be the same as
on-demand except that it would *not* perform step 14 from the diagram here (
https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3693). Is that right?