[Pulp-dev] Dev freeze

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 21:37:05 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 3:22 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> I was looking at the release schedule page[0] and I saw that we define
> release terms like ‘beta’ and ‘release candidate’ but we don’t define what
> a ‘dev freeze’ means. I’d like to add the definition of ‘dev freeze' to our
> release schedule page since it sounds like there has been some confusion
> around what a ‘dev freeze’ is exactly.
>
> The beta (as it’s currently defined on the release schedule page) is a
> freeze of all features or bugs except for regressions related to the
> release. Personally, I think a dev freeze should defined as a freeze of
> feature (or story) work but bug fixes are permitted.

Such a definition works well when the feature dev freeze can be a month
before the beta. That gives time for developers to fix any bugs related to
the new features. Pulp's dev freeze is only 1 week before the beta is
shipped. This 1 week time window was introduced to give the build team
ample time to branch the repos and build the packages. If we accept code
changes for an upcoming release up until the day before the beta, the build
team only has very specific hours when the branching/building can be done.
We should always accept changes, however, changes received after the dev
freeze date are not guaranteed to make it into the upcoming release.
Anything that needs to be accepted later needs to be coordinated with the
build team.

Thoughts? I’ll leave this discussion open until next week and then update