[Pulp-dev] Concerns about bulk_create and PostgreSQL

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 22:08:16 UTC 2018

When we switched from UUID to integers for the PK we lost the ability to
have the primary key set during bulk_create with databases other than
PostgreSQL [0].

With a goal of database agnosticism for Pulp3, if plugin writers plan to
use bulk_create with any object inherited from one of ours, they can't will
get different behaviors on different databases and they won't have PKs that
they may require. bulk_create is a normal django thing, so plugin writers
making a django plugin should be able to use it. This concerned me already,
but today it was also brought up by non-RH plugin writers also [1] in a PR.

The tradeoffs bteween UUIDs versus PKs are pretty well summed up in our
ticket where we discussed that change [2]. Note, we did not consider this
bulk_create downside at that time, which I think is the most significant
downside to consider.

Having bulk_create effectively not available for plugin writers (since we
can't rely on its pks being returned) I think is a non-starter for me. I
love how short the UUIDs made our URLs so that's the tradeoff mainly in my
mind. Those balanced against each other, I think we should switch back.

Another option is to become PostgreSQL only which (though I love psql) I
think would be the wrong choice for Pulp from what I've heard from its
users.

What do you think? What should we do?

[0]: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.1/ref/models/querysets/#bulk-create
[1]: https://github.com/pulp/pulp/pull/3764#discussion_r234780702