[Pulp-dev] Using Gunicorn and Static Files

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 20:28:10 UTC 2018

Howdy,

When switching a deployment over to use gunicorn, DEBUG = TRUE for serving
static files stopped working. I endeavored to follow the production install
method using collectstatic. This required setting STATIC_ROOT which
appeared to not be set by default.

 1) Is there a default value for STATIC_ROOT I can set for collectstatic?
 2) Can gunicorn serve these static files for me?

I realize the documentation calls for serving static files via a webserver
like nginx or Apache. However, that becomes a bit overkill in something
like a container deployment. If I run a separate webserver, then I would
run it as a separate container and have to mount the static files volume.
This felt like overkill to me to have a persistent volume to store and
mount static files instead of the application server providing them for the
application.

Any thoughts and help are appreciated.

Eric