[Pulp-dev] Using Gunicorn and Static Files

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 20:45:27 UTC 2018

Hi Eric, Thanks for writing, see inline.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 4:28 PM Eric Helms <ehelms at redhat.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> When switching a deployment over to use gunicorn, DEBUG = TRUE for serving
> static files stopped working. I endeavored to follow the production install
> method using collectstatic. This required setting STATIC_ROOT which
> appeared to not be set by default.
>
>  1) Is there a default value for STATIC_ROOT I can set for collectstatic?

I think we should set one, and more and more we're having everything live
in /var/lib/pulp/<somedir>/ so it could have a default of
/var/lib/pulp/static_media/. Do you have any interest in sending us a PR
and opening an issue?

 2) Can gunicorn serve these static files for me?

I looked into doing this a while back and I reached the conclusion that we
could but we shouldn't. It is convenient to not have to do anything extra
to deploy it, but the Django docs say in several places that we should
expressly not do this. Convenience is more than a nicety, the longer Pulp
takes to deploy the fewer users we will have. I think the Ansible Installer
and templates on openshift should let us do it the recommended way (with
apache or nginx, etc) and have it be just as easy for the user.
Unfortunately no one has done that ... yet!

Reach out to me on irc if you want any help with any of those things.